All UK-based clinics licensed by the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA) must conform to strict medical, legal and ethical standards. By receiving donated eggs, sperm and embryos through one of these clinics, regardless of your marital status, your legal parenthood is as follows:
- You will be the legal parent of any child born following your fertility treatment.
- You will be the named parent on your child’s birth certificate.
- You will be legally, ethically, morally and financially responsible for your child.
Your donor WILL NOT:
- be the legal parent of your child
- have any legal obligations to or any rights over your child
- be named on your child’s birth certificate
- have any financial obligations to support your child.